A chemical peel is a skin-resurfacing procedure in which a chemical solution is applied to the skin to peel away the accumulation of dead cells on the surface of the skin, enhancing cell renewal and increasing the moisture content of the skin. It also helps to stimulate collagen regeneration main skin health.The skin can peel or flake off a few days after the peel revealing healthier, smoother and more radiant skin. Recommended home care products help to stimulate skin renewal.
Chemical peels are used to treat fine lines and wrinkles, skin discolouration usually on the face but also on the neck and decollatage. A chemical peel can be done alone or in combination with other cosmetic procedures and results are enhanced if the correct pre-treatment and post-treatment products are used.
Chemical peels can be done at different depths — from light or superfical to deep — depending on your desired results. Each peel uses a different chemical solution. Deeper chemical peels produce more-dramatic results and deeper skin rejvuenation but also involve longer recovery times.
SUPERFICIAL CHEMICAL PEELS
Glycolic acid is a natural constituent of cane sugar and the smallest molecule of the alpha-hydroxy (AHA) family.
SkinCeuticals Micropeel 30®
30% Glycolic acid which is a natural constituent of cane sugar and the smallest molecule of the alpha-hydroxy (AHA) family.
SkinCeuticals Gel Peel GL
Combines Glycolic and Lactic acids to exfoliate surface cells and hydrate the skin.This peel revitalises the appearance of photodamaged skin.
SkinCeuticals Gel Peel SM
Formulated to address pore congestion, wrinkles, other signs of ageing this peel combines Salicylic and Mandelic acids to manage problematic skin and promote exfoliation.
SkinCeuticals Pigment Balancing Peel
Targets the appearance of uneven skin tone to improve sun-damage skin with pigmentaiton. It combines brightening agents with a peeling solution.
DEEP CHEMICAL PEELS
Skin Tech TCA – Easy TCA® Pain Control
A new patented technology allows Easy TCA Pain Control to safely give results comparable to a papillary dermis depth, with a very discreet burning sensation only. Efficacy has increased especially on pigment problems.
The Skin Tech brand It is the most famous and internationally known medium depth chemical peel for skin regeneration. Considered as one of the safest, the most effective and the easiest peeling with TCA (Trichloracetic Acid, the Easy TCA is used to treat fine lines, photo-ageing, acne problems, acne scars, pigment problems (hyperpigmentation), melasma, chloasma, keratosis, hands, forearms, stretch marks, “age spots”, etc. The actives are 15% TCA and 1% Phenol.
- Sun-damaged skin with wrinkles and brown marks
- Dry, dehydrated skin
- Superficial winkles
- Skin fragility
- Early chronoaging
- Smokers skin
- Dull skin
What benefits can I expect after a chemical peel?
The results below will depend on the intensity of the peel but all peels will help in the following way:
- Improve the texture of your skin
- Improve the skin’s ability to retain moisture
- Helps to regenerate the skin’s natural production of collagen
- Helps to soften fine lines and deeper wrinkles
- Increases the cellular turnover of the top layer of the skin
- Helps to decrease areas of mild hyperpigmentation
- Unclog pores
- Evens skin tone
- Increases smoothness in skin texture
- Gives the skin a healthy glow and radiance
How do I know if I am a good candidate for Chemical Peels?
Anyone in generally good health may be an excellent candidate for Chemical Peels. It is safe for all ethnicities, and even dark skin tones but you would need to be assessed by one of our therapists or doctors as there are some conditions where chemical peels are not suitable for certain conditions. Darker skin types or those prone to pigmentation are advised to undergo peels during the winter months when sun is not a problem.
Is a Chemical peel painful?
Superficial Chemical peels are not a painful. Patients may feel a small amount of tingling and a sensation of “ants crawling” over the skin. Others especially with the deeper peels feel a hot or very warm sensation as the peel is applied and this can last for a few minutes. Therapists generally cool the skin with a fan to help with any discomfort.
How will I look or feel right after the Peel Treatment?
Superficial Peel: Initially your skin may be somewhat red or puffy. It may take up to one week for the renewal and rebuilding process to let your skin appearance return to normal During this repair/renewal period some patients have experienced some of the following: stinging, itching, burning, mild pain or discomfort, tightness and peeling of the superficial layer of the skin. Once healed, your skin will have a refreshed, hydrated, more youthful appearance
Deep Chemical peel (Easy TCA Pain Control): Tightness, sunburn-like sensation. Swelling Active peeling for 5-6 days after.
Are there any conditions which make it unsafe to have a peel?
- Atopic skin reactions/eczema
- Circulation disorders
- Collagen/autoimmune disease
- Pigmentation disorders
- Recent anti-coagulant therapy
- Retinol (need to stop at least a week before a peel)
- Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Viral infections (inc herpes)
Some conditions may make it temporarily unsafe to have a peel but it is always advisable to speak to your doctor or therapist.
How many treatments will be necessary?
Superficial Peels: Regular peels are recommended for desired results and to maintain good skin health. Superficial peels can replace normal facials because of multiple benefits of deep cleansing, exfoliation and the stimulation of collagen. Superficial peels during summer are only recommended for people who do not have prolonged outdoor activities during the hottest months of the year.
Multiple treatments are recommended for desired results Multiple treatments are recommended for desired results
Deep Peels (Easy TCA Pain Control): We recommend that you need to have 2 TCA treaments once a year, 2 weeks apart with mandatory post peel care which we will recommend for the client specific needs.
- TCA peels:
Your Dermatologist or Therapist can provide you with more information on whether a Chemical Peel is the right treatment for you. If you suffer from any chronic skin disorders you must please bring it to their attention.
Pre Treatment Guidelines
- 2-3 days prior to peel: Discontinue use of any retinoids, hydroquinone, benzoyl peroxide or topical acne medications.
- 1 week prior: Refrain from waxing, laser or any other procedures
- If you have a history of cold sores, please DO let the therapist know.
Post Treatment Guidelines
- Apply a sunscreen with at least SPF30.
- Avoid prolonged sun exposure between 10 am and 3 pm, when sun’s rays are strongest.
- Resist any urge to peel, pick, or scratch the treated skin. Scarring could result.
- Avoid any other facial treatments for at least one week after
- AVOID laser treatments, exfoliation, waxing, the use of depilatories, or microdermabrasion for 3 weeks.
- DO wait 7 days before resuming the use of Retin-a (tretinoin), Renova, Differin, Tazorac, Ziana, Veltin, Atralin, glycolic acids or any other exfoliating agents such as a Clarisonic Brush.
- AVOID swimming, sauna, or whirlpool use for at least 7 days after the peel.
Medical Skin & Laser Clinic
> Treatment Guide
> Laser Treatments
> Skin Treatments
> Our Products
+27 21 852 8709
31 Bright Street
Somerset West, 7130
© Dermalaser 2018 all rights reserved