CANDELA NORDLYS ELLIPSE INTENSE PULSED LIGHT (IPL)
The Nordlys Ellipse Intense Pulsed Light System manufactured by Candela, is approved by the FDA in America for skin rejuvenation for sun-damaged skins and treatment of vascular and pigmented skin disorders.
Intense Pulsed Light in its simplest form is a way of saying short flashes of very bright light. Nordlys uses short, safe bursts of carefully controlled filtered light which is emitted from a flash-lamp to treat specific skin conditions. For brown marks on the skin, it targets melanin and for treatment of vascular problems, it targets haemoglobin which causes redness. In treating sun-damaged skin, both melanin and haemoglobin are treated.
The amount of light and the speed of its delivery to your specific skin condition are exact and precisely controlled by Nordlys’s built-in computer. Unlike some other products on the market, the Nordlys System carefully controls the pulse and the amount of energy delivered in the optimal waveband for the treatment. These factors explain why the best possible result is obtained. Nordlys has been clinically proven to be safe and effective.
- Pigmented Lesions
- Brown marks
- Freckles and age spots
- Vascular Lesions
- Red spider veins,
- Dilated Red Veins
- Diffuse Redness
- Sun Damaged Skin
- Skin Rejuvenation
- Improves Texture and Skin Tone
- Improves Radiance
- Skin laxity
- Port Wine Stain (Dermatologist approval required)
How does the treatment work?
An intense pulsed light is applied in a series of gentle pulses over the treatment area. Without damaging the skin, the light penetrates through the skin and is absorbed by the haemoglobin of the abnormally dilated capillaries or the melanin of the pigmented lesion. The heat causes the lesion to fragment and the dilated capillaries to close, the body then begins its natural healing process. IPL stimulates fibroblast activity encouraging the formation of new collagen and elastin thereby improving the appearance of the fine lines and an overall skin texture.
How long is each treatment?
Treatment varies from 15 to 45 minutes depending on the size of the area to be treated.
How many treatments are needed?
The number of sessions recommended depends on the specific condition and the size of the area being treated. Your doctor or laser therapist will discuss this with you before treatments commence. For optimal results, multiple treatments are sometimes recommended depending on your individual skin condition. Follow-up treatments may be recommended to maintain results.
Is it painful?
A cooling gel is always applied before commencing with the treatment. Pain is minimal and most patients describe the sensation as being similar to the snap of an elastic band with some sensation of heat. Your doctor or laser therapist will always make sure of your comfort levels as the treatment is being administered.
Are there possible side effects or risks involved?
The side-effects and risks are minimal if the treatment is performed by trained professionals who are experienced in this type of treatment. Immediately after the treatment the skin may appear flushed rather like a sunburn, brown pigmented spots may appear darker and capillaries may be visible. Swelling is usually minimal but it depends on the individual being treated.
What results can I expect?
It helps to even out skin tone, improves the texture and gives the skin radiance
It helps to reverse the results of UV damage e.g. solar lentigines (brown marks) and telangiectasia (red veins)
It provides skin rejuvenation on the treated areas and helps to soften wrinkles
It enhances elasticity, it helps to firm the skin and reduce enlarged pores
Is there anything I should avoid prior to treatment?
You cannot have this treatment if you have a tan so make sure your skin is as pale as possible for the best results.
If you are on Roaccutane or any other Isotretinoin treatments you will need permission from your Dermatologist before treatment commences. You should always have an assessment with your doctor or laser therapist prior to treatment to see if you are a suitable candidate.
Which areas can be treated?
It can be used for effectively treating and improving the appearance of the face, neck, décolleté, and hands. However, the neck and décolleté may require more treatments than the face.
Your Dermatologist or Therapist can provide you with more information on whether the Nordlys (Intense Pulsed Light) is the right treatment for you. If you suffer from chronic pigmentation or chronic redness you will need to consult your Dermatologist before commencing with this treatment.
Rosacea clients tend to have a reduction in redness, fewer flare-ups, and overall improvement of the skin.
Pre Treatment Guidelines
- Creams such as Rosex (for Rosacea), Vitamin A prescribed cream (Retin-A), Differin Ilotycin A, Isotrex), Skinoren, Hydroquinone, or Glycolic Acid and other fruit acids must be stopped 5 days prior to your treatment.
- Should you be on Roaccutane/Oretane or Isotretinnoins, Nordlys Ellipse IPL treatments are not recommended at all.
- Skin that has been overexposed to the sun and sunburned should not be treated. Sun exposure should be stopped 3-4 weeks prior to a session.
- The intake of sun activators or the use of chemical self-tanning lotions should be stopped 2 weeks prior to your session.
- As smoking dilates your blood vessels/capillaries, it is recommended that you do not smoke 2 hours prior AND post your treatment.
Post Treatment Guidelines
- Immediately after your session at the clinic all your brown spots will turn darker and remain darker for approximately 5 days.
- Avoid any form of heat (saunas, steam baths, fire, or braai) it could cause severe swelling.
- Avoid exercise for a few days as it will cause flushing which will then dilate the capillaries.
- Avoid spicy foods and a large amount of alcohol.
- Avoid exfoliation, masks, and fruit acid formulations for 5 days
- It is important to moisturize your skin properly to keep it hydrated.
- A couple of days after the very first session you will notice a brighter complexion and smoother skin.
- Avoid sun exposure for a few days after treatment. The use of sunblock is very important when going about your day-to-day routines and it should be applied twice a day throughout the course of treatments.
- Sunblock should be reapplied regularly after treatment if you are required to be outdoors for prolonged periods of time to avoid
ELLIPSE INTENSE PULSED LIGHT I2PL SYSTEM
Medical Skin & Laser Clinic
DISCOVER DERMALASER TREATMENTS & PRODUCTS
» Treatment Guide
» Price List
» Laser Treatments
» Skin Treatments
» Our Products
» Our Medical Specialists
+27 21 852 8709
31 Bright Street
Somerset West, 7130
CONNECT WITH US