Ellipse I2PL Intense Pulsed Light
ELLIPSE INTENSE PULSED LIGHT I2PL SYSTEM
The Ellipse I2PL Intense Pulsed Light System is a second-generation Intense Pulsed Light system that is approved by the FDA in America for skin rejuvenation for sun-damaged skins and treatment of vascular and pigmented skin disorders.
Intense Pulsed Light in its simplest form is a way of saying short flashes of very bright light. Ellipse uses short, safe bursts of carefully controlled filtered light which is emitted from a flash-lamp to treat specific skin conditions. For brown marks on the skin it targets melanin and for treatment of vascular problems it targets haemoglobin which causes the redness. In treating sun-damaged skin, both melanin and haemaglobin are treated.
The amount of light and the speed of its delivery to your specific skin condition are exact and precisely controlled by Ellipse’s built-in computer. Unlike some other products on the market, Ellipse carefully controls the pulse and the amount of energy delivered in the optimal waveband for the treatment. These factors explain why the best possible result is obtained. Ellipse has been clinically proven to be safe and effective.
Clinical indications for the The Ellipse I2PL System:
Freckles and age spots
Red spider veins,
Dilated Red Veins
Sun Damaged Skin
Improves Texture and Skin Tone
How does the treatment work?
An intense pulsed light is applied in a series of gentle pulses over the treatment area. Without damaging the skin, the light penetrates through the skin and is absorbed by the haemoglobin of the abnormally dilated capillaries or the melanin of the pigmented lesion. The heat causes the lesion to fragment and the dilated capillaries to close, the body then begins its natural healing process. I2PL™ stimulates fibroblast activity encouraging the formation of new collagen and elastin thereby improving the appearance of the fine lines and an overall skin texture.
How long is each treatment?
Treatment varies from 15 to 45 mintues depending on the size of the area to be treated.
How many treatments are needed?
The number of sessions recommended depends on the specific condition and the size of the area being treated. Your doctor or laser therapist will discuss this with you before treatments commence. For optimal results multiple treatments are sometimes recommended depending on your individual skin condition. Follow-up treatments may be recommended to maintain results.
Is it painful?
A cooling gel is always applied to the treatment area before commencing with the treatment. Pain is minimal and most patients describe the sensation as being similar to the snap of an elastic band with some sensation of heat. Cool compresses are applied to soothe the skin and your doctor or laser therapist will always make sure of your comfort levels as the treatment is being administered.
Are there possible side effects or risks involved?
The side-effects and risks are minimal if the treatment is perfomed by trained professionals who are experienced in this type of treatment. Immediately after the treatment the skin may appear flushed rather like a sunburn, brown pigmented spots may appear darker and capillaries may be visible. Swelling is usually minimal but it depends on the individual being treated.
What results can I expect?
It helps to even out skin tone, improves the texture and gives the skin a radiance
It helps to reverse the results of UV damage e.g. solar lentigos (brown marks) and telangiectasis (red veins)
It provides skin rejuvenation on the treated areas and helps to soften wrinkles
It enhances elasticity, it helps to firm the skin and reduce enlarged pores
Is there anything I should avoid prior to treatment?
You cannot have this treatment if you have a tan so make sure your skin is as pale as possible for the best results.
If you are on Roaccuatane or any other Isotretinoins you will need permission from your Dermatologist before treatment commences. You should always have an assessment with your doctor or laser therapist prior to treatment to see if you are a suitable candidate.
Which areas can be treated?
This treatment can be used for effectively treating and improving the appearance of the face, neck, décolleté and hands – however the neck and décolleté would require more treatments than the face.
Your Dermatologist or Therapist can provide you with more information on whether the Ellipse I2PL (Intense Pulsed Light) is the right treatment for you. If you suffer from chronic pigmentation or chronic redness you will need to consult your Dermatologist before commencing with this
Pre Treatment Guidelines
- Creams such as Rosex (for Rosacea), Vitamin A prescribed cream (Retin-A), Differen, Ilotycin A, Isotrex), Skinoren, Hydroquinone, or Glycolic Acid and other fruit acids must be stopped 5 days prior to your treatment.
- Should you be on Roaccutane/Oretane or Isotretinnoins, Ellipse I2PL treatments are not recommended at all.
- Skin that has been overexposed to the sun and sunburned should not be treated. Sun exposure should be stopped 3-4 weeks prior to a session.
- The intake of sun activators or the use of chemical self-tanning lotions should be stopped 2 weeks prior to your session.
- As smoking dilates your blood vessels/capillaries, it is recommended that you do not smoke 2 hours prior AND post your treatment.
Post Treatment Guidelines
- Immediately after your session at the clinc all your brown spots will turn darker and remain darker for approximately 5 days.
- Avoid any form of heat (saunas, steam baths, fire or braai) it could cause severe swelling.
- Avoid exercise for a few days as it will cause flushing which will then dilate the capillaries.
- Avoid spicy foods and large amount of alcohol.
- Avoid exfoliation, masks and fruit acid formulations for 5 days
- It is important to moisturise your skin properly to keep it hydrated.
- A couple of days after the very first session you will notice a brighter complexion and smoother skin.
- Avoid sun exposure for a few days after treatment. Use of a sun block is very important when going about your day-to-day routines and it should be applied twice a day throughout the course of treatments.
- Sun block should be reapplied regularly after treatment if you are required to be outdoors for prolonged periods of time to avoid
ELLIPSE INTENSE PULSED LIGHT I2PL SYSTEM
Medical Skin & Laser Clinic
> Treatment Guide
> Laser Treatments
> Skin Treatments
> Our Products
+27 21 852 8709
31 Bright Street
Somerset West, 7130
© Dermalaser 2018 all rights reserved